Monday, May 16, 2011

First Day

For those of you coming here unaware, allow me to summarize the project.

Background
When Google wanted to create an emulator for their Android OS they chose to base their design off of one of the most popular, QEMU, to save on design work. They forked the project from the 0.8.2 release and made modifications to it to enable the emulation of an Android image. Additionally, some design improvements introduced to mainline QEMU may have been cherry picked and inserted into the Android Emulator project which could provide for some confusion down the line. Now that this Android Emulator has matured and is viable, mainline QEMU wants to include all of the necessary bits to run Android as well, leading to this Summer of Code Project.

Tasks
The task laid out for this summer is straightforward in its description, select the appropriate changes made to QEMU 0.8.2 necessary to run Android images and import those changes into the mainline QEMU. To do this I must analyze the current Android Emulator code for the necessary core components and then work on porting the components to the mainline. As I get deeper into my analysis and understanding of the system throughout this week, I'll be providing a planned schedule of my goals expanding on these thoughts.

Current Work
Due to school and other issues I have only just begun to work on the project, which will give me a full week of preparation before the official start. I have been setting up my development environment complete with build scripts and I will post an instructional for doing so in a day or two. Additionally I will be mapping out a schedule for the summer and hopefully getting to know the community a bit during this last week.

I'll be logged in under my username 'pjack' and lurking on #qemu and #qemu-gsoc on irc.oftc.net whenever I can remember to do so. And I'm a bit new to using IRC, so don't be too mean ;)

1 comment:

  1. "I must analyze the current Android Emulator code for the necessary core components and then work on porting the components to the mainline"

    You can ignore the target-arm/ subdirectory for the moment, I think. I looked through the changes there a while back and the relevant bugfixes are already in QEMU mainline.

    ReplyDelete